Elder Joe Leishman~Philippines Angeles Mission

January 2011-January 2013

Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!


(Valentine love poem by Joe)
We received a wonderful letter today from Elder Leishman, but it was heart wrenching. Here is what he had to say:

Dear Family and Friends,

Happy Valentine’s Day! This past week was another great week at the MTC. It still continues to amaze me just how much we do in a week. Things move so fast that when I get back to the residence hall at night, I have to look at my planner to remember everything I did that day. The first thing I need to say is thank you to everyone who sent Elder Tomasi a note or package. It really means a lot to him. He reads and rereads every letter many times and treats them like they are a treasure. Elder Tomasi is doing pretty well right now, but the past few days have been really rough for him. On Saturday morning at breakfast, one of the Tongan Elders he know from Tonga came and told Elder Tomasi that the night before he received a letter from his family telling him to tell Elder Tomasi that his10 year old sister had passed away. It was very difficult to see someone like Elder Tomasi get news like this. Elder Tomasi serves everyone around him in every way he can, he works very hard to be a good missionary, and is one of the greatest people I have ever met. The news hit him hard as it would anyone. It was especially hard not coming from his own family. His family still hasn’t communicated with him since he has come here regardless of the letters he has sent to them. It really did break my heart to see him so sad and devastated. I wanted to help him but I didn’t know the best thing I should do. I think I prayed more that day than I ever have in my life and my prayers were all for Elder Tomasi and his family. I did my best to comfort him, keep him busy, and share my testimony with him. Later that night about 10 Tongan and Samoan elders came while we were studying and gave Elder Tomasi some money to send to his family. These elders gave Elder Tomasi incredible words of testimony about his mission and the plan of salvation. They told him things so perfect and encouraging that I know couldn’t have been said without the spirit. This display of support, brotherhood, and love was a very spiritual experience that taught me a lot. It helped me gain a stronger testimony of God’s plan and eternal family and taught me that we all are our brother’s keeper and it is our responsibility to comfort those in need of comfort and to pick-up those who have fallen down. Later that night I think we had at least 25 Tongans and Samoans in our room. We definitely missed the 10:30 lights out rule, but I’m pretty sure the Lord was ok with it. Elder Tomasi doesn’t want to make a huge deal out of this but a little note would mean a lot to him. A few of you have asked what he would like as far as a package is concerned – the truth is he is a human vacuum. I don’t think I have met anyone who can eat as much as him and he isn’t picky about anything. Elder Tomasi is the best!!

One experience this past week that really stands out to me happened at the TRC. Missionaries go to the TRC one a week to have a role play with an investigator. You have a task at the beginning where you either contact them or just talk to them in your language for 15 minutes, then after a quick planning session, you teach them a lesson. The rooms are supposed to look like a like a living room but there are cameras and microphones so your teachers can observe your teaching. This past week at the TRC, Elder Tomasi and I taught lesson two or the Plan of Salvation. For the first while we were teaching, I didn’t think thoughts like I wish Elder Tomasi would have said this or why didn’t he say that and I put 100% of my focus into listening to the investigator and what Elder Tomasi was saying. The Spirit was so strong. Elder Tomasi and I both said things that neither of us had thought of before and I know it was promptings from the Spirit. The best part of this was being able to tell that our investigator was feeling the spirit too. She was trying to hold back tears. It was an amazing experience and I learned something important from it. I learned that when you have feelings of frustration or contention with your companion, the spirit won’t be there. It really taught me how to have the spirit with you constantly; you need to avoid feelings of frustration and anger. You need to love those around you to have the spirit at its strongest.

Every day I learn just how important obedience and hard work are. They make all the difference. I love the MTC and I can´t wait to get to the Philippines. This week the older district left and my desire to go teach the people in the Philippines grew tremendously.

We are grateful Joe is loving the MTC and his sweet companion. Keep Elder Tomasi in your prayers! Send him letters and packages! Let's give him lots of love :)
His address is in the previous post.

No comments:

Post a Comment