Elder Joe Leishman~Philippines Angeles Mission

January 2011-January 2013

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

More on Love and 4 Square


Email from March 7:


Dear family and friends,

As the subject of this exciting email has said, it has been another great week here at the mtc. It's hard to believe that in fourteen days I'll be on my way to the Philippines! We should be getting our travel plans on Wednesday so I'll let you know when I have more details. This past week we had 2 new districts come into our zone for the first time since we have been in the mtc. It's been fun to finally have some new Elders and sisters. I actually was in the same 1st and 2nd grade class with one of the new elders in our zone. Small world. It takes me back to see them struggling with Tagolog and experiencing everything the mtc has to offer for the first time. It makes you realize how much you learn and grow in the short time you spend in the mtc. It really is amazing what the Lord does with his missionaries.

This past week I have learned some important things about work. To be a diligent missionary you have to work hard and stay focused all the time. I learned that to do this, I have to rededicate myself every morning when I get out of bed to giving my all that day. If you don't start out your day with that kind of determination you won't ever have it at any part of the day. I also learned that when you frequently set goals you study and work more effectively. The best way to work or study is to have a goal in mind.

Throughout my time at the mtc I have been continuously learning about the importance of love. Love is very very important in missionary work. We need to love our companions, our leaders, and all the people around us. When we really love the people we serve it's easier to take yourself out of the equation. I have seen this happen at the mtc and I can't wait to see how this principle will apply in the Philippines. Sometimes it's hard to love those around you, especially when there is a missionary who pushes your buttons like you didn't know possible. I have learned that I need to pray for help in this department every day. The best example of love is our Savior Jesus Christ. Everything that he did was an incredible act of love. Especially his atonement. I am so grateful for the atonement and the blessings it has brought to my life. I love the definition of charity in the Bible Dictionary. I definitely recommend reading it. charity is something that we all need to be working for so we can become more effective servants of the Lord.

Last here is a little bit about mtc gym time. After 7 weeks at the mtc, I have finally come to the conclusion that mtc 4 Square is one of the most frustrating games the world has to offer! It is impossible to get out with dignity, and no matter how good you are playing you will get out, and will get out quickly. Elders get into it too! to the point of making personalized four square tshirt. Some zones even have a crazy amount of 4 square politics including alliances, enemies, and positions of authority. It's crazy! Just an FYI.

Well thank you for the letters and all that you do.

Love,

Elder Leishman

No comments:

Post a Comment