Elder Joe Leishman~Philippines Angeles Mission

January 2011-January 2013

Friday, September 16, 2011

September 7


Sorry I have fallen so far behind! Another letter from Elder Joe...

Dear loved ones,

This past week and half have been great as usual! There are definitely trials in the work but it has still been wonderful. I first need to apologize for forgetting to tell you this week is transfers so I didn't email on Monday. I got the package you sent and it was awesome! As you already know I will not be transferring but will spend another 6 weeks with Elder Tating in Burgos as we finish up the 12 week program. This past week we had some investigators make some awesome progress and we found some awesome new investigators. One of our progressing investigators is Clarence. Clarence is 10 and will be baptized this upcoming Saturday. Clarence is awesome. He isn't from Burgos but he moved in a couple months ago with a family of members because they offered to provide him with schooling. He is awesome and has been a great example of faith to me. He has taught me how strong Faith can be in Children. The Rolio family (members) have been an awesome support to clarence and have really been the key to teaching him and helping him learn the Gospel.

This upcoming sunday we will start church in our new chapel and I am so excited! It is close to all of our new converts and is already doing so much to help us work with less actives and to find new investigators. One of the great things happening in my area right now is that we have some members really getting excited about missionary work. Because of this, and because of our new branch mission leader our work with the members has become much more effective and finding has been awesome with the support of the members. Members are a huge key in missionary work! A couple weeks ago President Martino shared his new vision about our mission with us. Before our Focus was here in the Philippines Angeles mission we Baptize. Now it's Here in the Philippines Angeles Mission we Baptize, retain, and Rescue. The new focus on "Rescue" or helping re-activate less active members. There are lot's of less actives here and I am so excited about this new "vision". Because we can help strengthen our branches by working with the members, finding part member families, activating less- active members and by teaching their families and friends. Elder Tating and I are starting to apply these principals with a new emphasize to rescue and have already had some great experiences.

With all the good there is always some bad and this past week we have had a few investigators and recent converts give in to old addictions with is hard. It's hard to see the people you love make progress and then fall back again. The important thing is to help them not get discouraged and help them overcome their addictions through faith. A couple of our recent coverts are embarassed to go to church because they know it is wrong. I have learned that the important thing is to help them stay active and while encouraging them and strengthening their faith to overcome their problems. With all of the people I have taught who have had concerns with the word of wisdom a few things are the same. They have all said that the Book of Mormon has been a big help in avoiding whatever substance they use, and also they couldn't do it without prayer. It has shown me that prayer and daily reading in the scriptures give us strength and protection from Satan's temptations.

As far as the pictures go, the first is a picture of my Branch President's family and I at the stake center for stake conference. The second is of me with a very large statue of Jesus Christ. This was at a place called Monestaro De Tarlac which is actually in my area at the top of a mountain. We went there today for P-day and it was so beautiful. The third picture is a picture of my zone here in Tarlac.

Well I love love love being a missionary. I couldn't be happier to be here in Burgos for another 6 weeks week serving the Lord.

mahal ko kayo

Love Elder Leishman

No comments:

Post a Comment