Elder Joe Leishman~Philippines Angeles Mission

January 2011-January 2013

Saturday, June 18, 2011

A New Companion!

June 15, 2010

Dear Family, Friends and Sportsfans,

Drumroll please...... My new companion will be Elder Calianga! The actual transfer happens tomorrow so I havn't met him yet. I heard he's awesome and I'm really excited. This next transfer will be a great opportunity to set goals, to learn and to grow.

The work in Burgos is great right now and I pray that it continues to improve. Elder Pioquinto is going to be a zone leader this next transfer. Not going to lie, I'm going to miss the Elder. We have grown a lot closer these past two weeks. I've realized how much he helped me. I'm really grateful for the opportunities I had to be companions with him. This past week Hinckly's baptism was great! President and Sister Puzey came unannounced to the baptism which was a great! All the members, investigators and Hinckly were 30 minutes late..... The 45 minutes of sitting with President Puzey with no members or investigators were a very long 45 minutes! ha. However everything worked out just fine. It was a very spiritual baptism. Hinckly's father was able to do the baptizing which was what we were hoping for. I'll attach a few pictures of the baptism for you. Hinckly was confirmed on Sunday and is now a great happy new member of the church!

This past Sunday we had some visitors at the Burgos Branch. The Banson Family attended church in Burgos and it was great to meet them! They were so kind and so awesome! They showed me pictures of Tanner Leishman, Grandpa, Mom and dad in Manila last year. It was great to spend a few minutes with them. They really love Grandpa Lolo. After church they gave us a ride home and gave Elder Pioquinto and I 2 big bags of food! It was the good stuff too! I am so grateful for their kindness. Mom, it would be great if you could express my gratitude to them. I also am attaching a picture of The Banson Family and I. Last week dad asked about the food here. The question is where to begin. I love the Filipino food. My favorite food is fruit. Mango, Bananas, Pomello, Papaya, Guyabano, Pineapple and Langka. To say the Least I eat a lot of Fruit. I also eat a lot of rice. My favorite ulam (dishes) here are adobo, sinagang pork, paksiw talapia, adabong sitaw ect... Really it's all good.

This past week I think I put on a little bit of the weight I lost. I couple weeks ago I was pretty sick after eating at a member's house but besides that my nothing has made me too sick. The first week I didn't know how I was going to eat fish for two years but now I actually really enjoy a nice piece of fish. Needless to say the food here is amazing! Mom, also in my package I would love a copy of my mission call. This past week I got the deodorant dad sent! It was a great moment in my day and I have really been enjoying having my old spice back.

These past week I have spent some time studying ch 6 in Preach my gospel (Christlike attributes.) I have learned that just as important as what we do is who we are. As a missionary I am a representative of Jesus Christ and I need to strive to be like him. However becoming Christlike is a lifelong process that we commit one day, one decision at a time. Before I came to the Philippines I kind of had this idea that when I got here I would magically become a great missionary. I would be able to speak the language, be a good teacher be Christlike and all the other things that we picture a missionary being. It didn't take me one hour to realize this wasn't the case. These past two months have been very humbling and I have realized how we need to Lord in everything we do. I am nothing without the Lord. I can't become the missionary I need to be without the Help of the lord. Progress towards becoming Christlike and the missionary I need to become happens one decision, one day at a time. The time to focus on is now. I have also learned that If we aren't progressing we are digressing. Progress is more rapid when we set goals and strive to achieve them.

I am so thankful for the opportunity to be a missionary. I love the Gospel. I am so thankful to have the gospel in my life. I love the Lord. I love being a missionary. I love the Filipino people. I love my family. I'm glad you all had a great trip to California. I love you all so much! Everyday I realize just how much I love my family and how lucky and blessed we are in our family. I didn't get to write a lot of the things I wanted to write about investigators and the work but I'll give you a good update on Monday about the work and my new companion. If you ever have questions for me don't be afraid to ask. I love reading your emails and hearing about your lives.

Mahal Kita

Love Elder Leishman

No comments:

Post a Comment