Elder Joe Leishman~Philippines Angeles Mission

January 2011-January 2013

Monday, January 14, 2013

I Have Fought A Good Fight 1/13

Dear Friends and Family, It feels strange to sit down at the internet shop to type my last email to you here in the Philippines. I cannot believe how fast it has come and it still feels unreal. As I reflect on the past 2 years and I can't help but smile. These 2 years have been two years of true joy! The feelings you have as you serve the Lord and see others change and accept the Gospel is a joy that is hard to describe. In my call letter it states, "Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among his children". When I first read that I had no idea what it really meant but it's so true. One of the greatest things i have gained from my mission is a knowledge of my Savior Jesus Christ. Before my mission I knew who he was but now I know him. My relationship with my Savior and my Heavenly Father is the greatest treasure of my mission. Like it says it John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee only rue God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent". In my mission I have learned how to love in a way that i didn't before. I love people and know that everyone is a child of God and has something good inside of them. You can find something good in any person! I love the Filipino people! I love the Philippines. This wonderful nation has become my home. I have gained a love for the scriptures and have learned the importance of exact obedience. I wish i could write all the things I have learned and expereinces i have had in the past 2 years but one email sure won't do it. Because of my mission I know I will be a better son, brother, student, employee and one day a father. My heart if full of gratitude for my mission and the effect it has had on my life. I am a different person now than I was when i entered the mtc in January 2011. The Gospel has changed me and my mission has changed me. I hope that anyone who has a desire to serve a mission will start preparing now and go out as soon as they can to help bring Heavenly Father's children back to him. Last week i had one of the greatest experiences in my mission. Last saturday night we attended the area broadcast at the stake center in San Jose. After the meeting was over I felt a child pull on the back of my pants and I turned around and saw little 3 year old Dwayne Vergel De Dios holding a picture of their family at the temple! When I first met that family in San Jose they were super less-active and I was privileged to help them back into activity and to see their two oldest sons baptisms. Last December 21, 2012 they were sealed as a family in the Manila temple for time and eternity! My hard was so full of joy as I saw that picture and talked with them for a few minutes after the meeting. They are now serving as executive secretary and ward family history consoltant in San Jose ward 1 and are so happy. I think that that's the greatest gift I could recieve on my mission is helping a family make it to the temple! The Gospel is for families and my mission has helped me realized more than ever how the Gospel blesses families and has blessed my family. I attached a picture of a picture I took of the picture of the Vergel De Dios Family at the temple. It's not the greatest quality but i hope you like it. Things are going great in Portal. We are teaching some of the coolest investigators and have some less-actives coming back to church. I feel so blessed to be assigned here right now and I have so much work to do here this last week. I always feel like there is always one more person you need to talk to and one more person you need to help and serve. I want you to know that I know that this is the only true church. Jesus Christ is at its head. Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and through his atonement we can all change and be clean. I know t he power of prayer and that our Heavenly Father loves us and answers our prayers. Joseph Smith restored the Gospel and saw what he said he saw. The Book of Mormon is true and is a powerful tool in changing lives for the better. Families really can be together Forever. The finish line is close, and I still have lots of work to do as I sprint to the very last minute. I'm going to continue to give it my all so i can say like Paul "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith". I love you all so much. with love

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that your Elder Leishman is amazing!!.
    I found his blog shortly after our son was called to Angeles, shortly after your son arrived in the Philippines. We had a gazillion questions and his and a few other blogs have been invaluable. Our son has been serving for 16 months now but we still enjoy your faithful son's blog. He has fought a good fight. What a wonderful missionary he is. Thank you for sharing your son with us.
    The Palmers

    ReplyDelete