Elder Joe Leishman~Philippines Angeles Mission

January 2011-January 2013

Monday, October 10, 2011

Conference in the Philippines



Dear Family and friends,

This past weekend has been wonderful! It was also very, very busy. The highlight of the week definitely had to be general conference! Wow, it was good. I was blessed to be able to head into Tarlac to attend all sessions and to be spiritually fed (and also physically fed, with a trip to 7-11 in between sessions on saturday. If your wondering my first slurpee in the Philippines was masarap!). General conference has taken on a new meaning to me here in the mission. I get so much more out conference and better understand the purpose for it. I feel like there were things said that were just for me. One of my favorite moments was singing "We thank the O God for a Prophet" as the rest hymn in the sunday morning session. The spirit was so strong as the overflowing Tarlac stake center was filled with the words of that wonderful hymn. I felt the spirit very strongly and my testimony was strengthened that Thomas S. Monson is our prophet of God on the Earth today. I don't know where to begin with my favorite talks this conference but I loved the many references to missionary work. Throughout the conference I felt so blessed to be a missionary involved with the wonderful work of God. I loved President Uchtdorf's talk about how in comparison to the Universe and God we are nothing, but to God we are so important. I have seen the hand of the Lord in my individual live and in the individual lives of others. He knows us, and we are so important to him. I think one of my favorite talks however was by Elder Christoferson about repentance. I loved how he said the invitation to repent is an invitation of love and now repentance is an invitation to change. Repentance brings us peace and joy into our lives. It's not a pleasant process but brings our will closer to that of will of our father. This talked helped me realize my role better in inviting people to repent and come unto Christ because I love them. It also helped me realize the things I need to do to change, repent of to become a better missionary.

This past week the work was good as well. It has been busy with 5 trips into tarlac for various meetings but great things have happened. Brother Adonis had his interview and will be baptized this upcoming week!!! I couldn't be more excited. His family is thrilled as well. They now have a goal as a family to be sealed in the temple. Helping to build eternal families is one of the greatest blessings of being a missionary! Yesterday we taught a recent convert and he told us that the Book of Mormon is our best guide. He shared an experience with us that he had had with the BOM. One day he was really angry and he saw his Book of Mormon and decided to read it. As he read his anger left and he forgot the source of his anger. He told us that hte Book of Mormon has brought peace into his life and has given him answers to his problems. The Book of Mormon is always there for all of us. The blessing of the Book of Mormon are uncountable and I know without a doubt that it is true.

Next week is transfers so my p-day will be on Wednesday. I don't know where I'll be next week but I'm trying to make the very most out of my time in Burgos. I love it there and the people so much. I have loved my companionship with Elder Tating and I'm sad that the 12 week program is almost over. 12 weeks go by amazingly fast.

As far as the pictures go the first is of me in a ricefield. It's not quite ready to be harvested but it's close. Right now it's harvest season and the people are very busy harvesting their rice! It's been really fun to watch the whole cycle.

The second picture is of my zone yesterday after conference. You just got to love Tarlac Zone!

Well the work is good. I love being a misisonary and I love the Lord. I love the Philippino people.

Mahal ko kayo

Love Elder Leishman

No comments:

Post a Comment